V.1 & V.1.0.18 : Game now Overheats GPU/CPU. BIOS forced Shutdown. GTX 3090

Redglyph
Level 14
6 months ago

For me I don't get a full overheat + shutdown, but it regularly kicks my GPU into the 70C+ range and my fan curve kicks into 100%. In the meantime, I've set my Vsync to Double (using a high Hz monitor) and that has dramatically reduced the load (as one would expect). Fans aren't going nuts anymore.

Good to know, thanks! Someone on Discord commented that disabling VSYNC helped decrease GPU utilization, something else to try perhaps. Mine was set to single.

rohan
Level 1
6 months ago (edited)

Started it up again with cpu/gpu temps in a side window, so I can see them at a glance... Stable temp at the moment, and through the point where it reset last time.

Have an active log for the temps just in case.

The only difference from before is that I'm running in windowed fullscreen instead of exclusive fullscreen. As I remember I was using windowed while playing in beta as well.

Screen at Currently at 144, but I seem to remember there were problems above 59hz in beta, or was that all fixed long ago.

and for the point above.

1. GPU, NVDIA RTX 3090 FE, Intel i9-10980XE 3GHZ
  2. have you observed similar issues during Early Access no
  3. describe when that happens tutorial mission for rogue, just before combat with the loan shark
  4. optionally, if you have a save file, nope, reset before that
  5. graphics settings, all settings on max... still.. only fullscreen mode change
Redglyph
Level 14
5 months ago

The only difference from before is that I'm running in windowed fullscreen instead of exclusive fullscreen. As I remember I was using windowed while playing in beta as well.

Screen at Currently at 144, but I seem to remember there were problems above 59hz in beta, or was that all fixed long ago.

That's interesting! Thanks for the update, definitely something to try. I set most Unity games in windowed fullscreen to avoid crashes when I toggle task, though I guess this was solved since then.

Redglyph
Level 14
5 months ago

For information, feedback from Myzzrym in Discord:

just to let you know our external QA did some extensive testing on RTX 3090 configs and they didn't run into any particular issue. If you're still on a quest to gather all the info about the issue, could you ask people to send us their dx diag + userpreferences as well? (userpreference can be found in appdata / locallow / tactical adventures / solasta folder)

So if you're still running into those issues, please provide him with those files in Discord

DailyLama72
Level 5
5 months ago

I've compiled a list of those problems, already sent the reports above that had enough information to Myzzrym on Discord

If you have a similar problem, it would help to know:

1. GPU, and perhaps CPU to be complete

RTX 3080 and Ryzen 3800X

1. have you observed similar issues during Early Access if you were participating?

did not participate

1. describe when that happens (something specific in the gameplay, in the map, spells, ... that impacts the graphics)

GPU uses suddenly almost 100% when entering areas with waterfalls (more details see https://forums.solasta-game.com/forum/gpu-problems-at-second-gem-location-with-waterfalls-mild-spoilers)

My PC does not shut down, but only because of good cooling. The fans spin up like crazy. This does not happen in very GPU intensive games like like Wolfenstein Youngblood, Gears 5 etc

1. optionally, if you have a save file, at least that could make the problem easier to reproduce (their QA didn't encounter such problems)

Sorry, all saves from then overwritten
Where: waterfall area (with the ruins) of the second gem location
Even when the game is in the background, the GPU is still used at ~92% with high spinning fans.
When moving the screen to the cemetery area, the GPU goes down to 46%. So it's clearly the water.

1. graphics settings, and whether you tried to tune them down

Graphic Settings: Ultra, TAA, 1440p, vsync: single

IXI
Level 14
5 months ago

geforce GTX 1060 [mobile], i7-8750h 

Graphic Settings: low, TAA, vsync: single

recommended for the laptop: 1920x1080, however, current screen resolution: 1368x768 59.85Hz [note i've matched the laptop screen to the SOLASTA screen size]

fans are running at full speed and laptop is on a chill-pad.  when i was using the recommend resolution CPU temps would be in the 90's.  with the lowered res they stay in the 80's

i did not have any issues while in EA

yellow flower of courage

littlenewbie
Visitor
5 months ago (edited)

This happened to me too 3 times now. Latest was while AFKing in town (after using a Major Gate to return to town, so next to the Major Gate Officer) while I was eating dinner.

Symptoms are that GPU goes into emergency cooling mode due to overheating where it cuts video output and runs fans at 100%. The only recourse is to force shutdown and then resume.

PC: GTX 3090 + i9 10850K (full PC spec: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/olegbl/saved/#view=qXscbv)
Settings: 4K, Fullscreen Window, Quality Level Ultra, TAA, Single Vsync, 60 FPS target
Game Version: Xbox Game Pass

EDIT: I found that turning Shadows completely off drops my GPU load from ~99% down to ~60% and lowers GPU temps by a good 20C. No other graphical setting made as much as 5% difference.

Rindell
Level 1
Kickstarter Backer
5 months ago

This happened to me in two specific locations: once on the map where you have to wade through the running water and traverse the waterfall (I think it's Oasis?), and the other was in the lava fields.  For me, it appeared to be related to the water/fluid - when it was on-screen, computer overheated, and if I scrolled away from the water, my GPU quieted down.  Fiddling with the graphics settings didn't stop the overheating.  3080 and Ryzen 5950x.

Redglyph
Level 14
5 months ago

Rindell, littlenewbie, IXI, DailyLama72

Have you read my post just above on this page?

Rentier
Level 9
Discord Link Steam Link Newsletter Link Kickstarter Backer
5 months ago

some reduction of spinrate for me was to set vsync from single to none and play still in ultra - so thanks for this tip

• GPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs)
  • have you observed similar issues during Early Access no
  • describe when that happens every time  I can move the chars (so not on the overworld, the tradewindow, the journal or ingame scenes etc.
  • optionally, if you have a save file, unrelated to saves - started new campaigns still same issue
  • graphics settings maximized Window, 1920x1080, vsync single (now none) 60Hz, no AA, Ultra
IXI
Level 14
5 months ago

For information, feedback from Myzzrym in Discord:

just to let you know our external QA did some extensive testing on RTX 3090 configs and they didn't run into any particular issue. If you're still on a quest to gather all the info about the issue, could you ask people to send us their dx diag + userpreferences as well? (userpreference can be found in appdata / locallow / tactical adventures / solasta folder)

So if you're still running into those issues, please provide him with those files in Discord

not sure where that is on discord?

yellow flower of courage

IXI
Level 14
5 months ago

another data point: tried to lower my graphics settings to get my computer a break but it made things worse.  i dropped from TAA to FXAA but my computer keep crashing

yellow flower of courage

Redglyph
Level 14
5 months ago

For information, they mention this workaround in the last hotfix, known issues: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/5391352763132294661

So maybe they could replicate the problem by now :-)

Known Issues & Work Around
I have a high end GPU (GTX 2070, 3090...) and Solasta keeps overheating my computer!
We found out that the game does not perform properly above 60 FPS :( The solution is to go to the graphic setting and either 
switch VSync to Double
, or if that doesn't work 
switch VSync to none and to cap your FPS at 60, and to lower your resolution to 1080p

Redglyph
Level 14
5 months ago

@IXI the links are at the bottom of this site, maybe it's possible to send them on Steam too, I don't know if that's possible to upload files there as I usually avoid the place. On Discord at least, you can discuss with them, it's more efficient.

DailyLama72
Level 5
5 months ago

@IXI the links are at the bottom of this site, maybe it's possible to send them on Steam too, I don't know if that's possible to upload files there as I usually avoid the place. On Discord at least, you can discuss with them, it's more efficient.

May I ask why the devs dont watch the forum? Why does the forum have a bug section if it's not watched? I have no idea what discord is and how it works :(