I spend way too much time thinking about what makes a game fun, so thought I would throw in some feedback.
Solasta overall is fun, lots of fun decisions, both in combat and in character creation.
1. Choosing which spells to cast and being rewarded, especially with AOE spells where you get lots of targets.
2. Sending a fast melee character to base casters and archers and getting free AOO on them.
3. Picking the right spells or skills when you level up.
4. Optimizing gear and magic items on the right characters.
These are all meaningful decisions where you understand what is going on and feel smart for doing the right thing.
Some stuff that is not fun:
- These are not fun meaningful decisions, they feel more like work than playing a heroic fantasy game.
1. Moving around inventory items to get under the weight limit. getting reduce movement speed or disadvantage because of loot. Loot should make you happy not sad. Weight is not interesting meaningful or fun. Please add an option to disable it.
2. Managing food and not starving on journeys. No real upside, it isn't interesting or fun. You just need to find it in shops and buy tons of it and hope you don't get trapped on a long journey with no food and feel bad. It hurts newer or more casual players that don't really understand the problem. It feels more like work than a fun heroic fantasy game. Please add an option to disable food. Another idea that kingmaker did was make food a small buff, like +1 all saves, instead of downside. Players love when a thing is upside instead of downside.
Those are the 2 biggest feel bad elements right now for the most people. Maybe just change those 2 things to optional or remove them entirely.
3. Darkness / disadvantage on attacks. This has fun gameplay for some players. However most players don't understand it that well, or don't enjoy the micro of keeping light cast on everyone after every short rest and after every ritual and after every long rest and whenever light fades. If you want to keep it, have an autocast toggle for casting light on all 4 PCs automatically whenever it expires.
I spent more time casting light on everyone over and over again and it very quickly felt like work instead of fun. This is another thing you could add a menu option to disable entirely, or autocast light to make it less bad. Even with autocast ranged attackers can still have problems.
Many more casual players won't realize that light is expiring all the time and that it needs to be on everyone and will fail attacks a lot more because of it. It punishes the wrong types of players and they may play for many hours without even knowing. They will miss 75% of their attacks and then feel bad and quit the game without going to the forums and asking what is going on.
I would make it an optional rule you can disable.
All 3 of these things make the game experience worse for casual players who are not rules experts or pay a lot of attention to details. Perhaps have a hard mode option that lets you turn on all 3 of these if you want to opt in, but in normal mode leave them off and let people focus on the fun parts of the game instead.
thanks for reading :)
Miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep